Saturday, November 19, 2011

A hard rain's a-gonna fall

It’s a lazy, rainy Saturday here in Sevilla.  I am sitting in our interior courtyard listening to the rain as the kids run around like wild Indians.  Ali and her family took the bus to the market to resupply the pantry.  Food is going fast now that we have six people in the house.  This leaves me home alone with the little maniacs for an indeterminate amount of time.  I believe they call this “quality time”.

 Courtyard, looking up

The girls helping out

On Thursday night Ali and I snuck out after the kids and the elderly fell asleep.  We headed over to the Alameda de Hercules as I wanted to show her where I spend my afternoons.  The weather was cool and crisp making it a great night for a stroll.  The Alameda is a long, wide pedestrian boulevard bordered by many cafes, bars, restaurants, and apartment buildings.  It’s a little more edgy and gritty than the main tourist center and a variety of  tree-huggers, hippies, gypsies, and individualists (for lack of a better word) call it home.  Some remind me of the Portland “hipsters” for whom my brother is so fond.

 The happy couple

The good looking one

We ducked into a restaurant with a nice outdoor seating area and an elegant tapas menu that I had scouted out earlier in the week.  The chef is Uruguayan and the tapas have a clear South American influence.  The food was delicious and the warm, perfectly lit patio had a romantic ambiance.  When you go, make sure to order the risotto and the arrepitas.  Que rico!


After dinner we headed to a small jazz bar on the South side of the Alameda.  The joint was tiny and packed with a local crowd.  Half the crowd seemed to be musicians and they were rotating in and out of the jam session.  It reminded me of the bluegrass jam sessions I have seen at Jack o' the Wood in Asheville, except jazz.   They were doing the old blue-note style jazz that I love.  If you closed your eyes you were transported to 60’s era Harlem with the sounds of Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane cutting through the smokey club air.  Afterwards, we be-bopped and skedaddled on home.

 
Naima Cafe Jazz

Tonight we are going out to dinner with the whole crew so wish us luck.  After dinner I will return home with the kids and Ali and her mother and sister are heading to a Flamenco show.  Good afternoon from Sevilla and please check in on us again soon. 

-Dave


1 comment:

  1. sevilla is not quite cool enough for me so i'm not going to be able to make it over. plus, with my new look it's really hard to get around!


    http://die-hipster-die.blogspot.com/2009/12/its-over-best-hipster-has-been-located.html

    ReplyDelete