Friday, October 7, 2011

Si se puede!

Yesterday, while walking around the centro, I came upon a peaceful protest.  There were hundreds of young people, students I presume, who were gathered with signs and yelling chants.  I wish I would have had my video camera with me.  There were a couple of guys with bullhorns leading the chants, and everyone would respond in unison.  It was quite loud, with their voices bouncing off the buildings in the narrow street.  The energy was palpable.  I had to walk right through the group (mostly because I don't know any other way to get to where I was going) so I casually slipped along the side of the gathering to bypass them.  For a second, I wanted to stand there and chant right along with them.  I admire people who make the effort to go out and make their voices heard, hoping to enact change.  Whether you agree with them or not, like the people occupying Wall Street, it makes me feel good that we live in a country that allows these types of demonstrations.

Dave actually saw the same group as he got out of school and snapped a couple of pictures although they were more dispersed than when I saw them.   There was a few riot police on standby in case things got out of hand.


We're leaving for Lagos, Portugal for the weekend after the girls get out of school.  We're looking forward to seeing the Atlantic Ocean!

--Ali

2 comments:

  1. Have a great time in Lagos and take lots of pictures! Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.economist.com/node/21528614

    ReplyDelete